Thursday, April 9, 2009

Talk about Women and feminism....

We- my colleagues and I got talking about Women in general and interpretation of feminism in specific. Feminism to me is political, social, sexual, intellectual and economic rights equal to that of men.

Which ofcourse adds up to feminism being my personal right to take decisions that make my life my very own!... Be it economic or intellectual independence...

I have a colleague who says that his wife prefers Purdah as she is a devout muslim and feels incomplete without it. He says he has not influenced her in any manner on this choice. This led to some self -talk. Just cause Purdah is not something I would choose how do I discount or disagree with her choice.

And the self-talk led to the following clarifications. Purdah is not only recommended/ imposed in Islam but also in Hinduism and Christianity... The ghoonghat or draping the head and face is commonly practised in North India and different branches Christianity advocates scarfing the heads for different occassions.

This is where - I believe, intellectual independence comes into play! Intellectual independence comes into play were an individual and in particular the woman makes a learned choice which surpasses religion (in most cases, whose rules and regulations are drafted by men who in turn are influenced by their immense proximity to GOD and His thoughts)and boundry's set by society and its minnions (translate that to Men - who form the society).

Feminism - is a nice but much maligned word. I do not believe in man hating or man baiting... and i find Men moderately interesting. I believe that I am a feminist... and I am proud of this fact!

No comments: